Thursday, April 7, 2011

Special Assignment

1. What do you know (or have you found out) about Mr. McClung that is reflected in the way he has constructed his class blog?
-----From looking at Mr. McClungs' blog, I have noticed that first and foremost he is very organized. Also, he is creative. I like that Mr. McClung is very involved with his students, and he opens the floor for discussion on different topics. One for example being, "Lesson Two – Wrestlin’ Talk," which is about a boy who was supposed to wrestle a girl but forfeited the match claiming that it was against his religious beliefs to wrestle a woman. I'm sure this topic wasn't discussed in many classes, but I like how he incorporated the topic into the day to hear what his students thought of it.
2. Comment on what you would say about Mr. McClung as an educator.
-----Once again, I would say that he is a very organized and creative educator. From the looks of things, he keeps everything very interesting. If I was a student in his class, I would look forward to learning in his class because I feel like I would be on my toes about tomorrows lesson and how exciting it would be. I think I would HATE all of the snow days and having no school. As much as I would love the snow, I know I would get sick of having to sit in doors and not have much to do due to the snow.
3. I asked above that you read Mr. McClung's "rules" and think about them. What do they say about Mr. McClung, his teaching, and his connection with his students? What is your reaction to these rules (and guides) as a student and as an aspiring teacher?
-----In my opinion, these rules show that he wants his students to just listen and follow directions. Based on what I have read, it is clear to me that Mr.McClung wants to develop a relationship with his students. Reading these rules also tell me that he truly cares about his job and that his students learn in his class. I think these rules are great. I think that when I become a teacher I will use rules similar to these.
4. What was the first thing under Everyone needs? Why do you suppose that is the first requirement?
-----The Day Planner! I love this because this will teach students organizational skills!! I also think it will teach them how to manage their time. It's never to early to start learning time management!
5. Note the penalties for being late (under Homework). Compare them with my penalties for being late. Comment
-----Mr. McClung is quite hard on his students and I think that is great. They need to understand that you cannot turn in your homework whenever and get full credit. It is not fair to the ones who did what they were supposed to do and on time.
6. Read carefully his paragraph about what he hopes to accomplish with his blog. Comment and apply to your own aspirations as a teacher.
-----I think his aspirations for his blog are just what they should be. All classroom blogs should be very informative and be a guideline for the students. It should also keep students informed on what they have missed if they are absent.
7. I asked you to review at least two Useful Links in depth after reviewing all of them. Which two did you review in depth? Describe each of the two. How might each be used? Why do you think each made Mr. McClung's list.
-----The two links I looked in depth at were The Plagiarism Checker and Twitter Times. The Plagiarism Checker is very cool. You can copy and paste your students homework or paper to see if it is plagiarized. Twitter Times, as I quote directly from the website itself,"The Tweeted Times is a real-time personalized newspaper generated from your Twitter account."
----For obvious reasons the Plagiarism Checker made the list because he wants to know if the work he is receiving from students is theirs or someones' that they are putting their name on. I think Twitter Times made the cut because #1 its fun and #2 because it does keep you up to date on news.
8. Under Internet Safety I asked you to read carefully the rules Mr. McClung sets forth for safely using the internet. Comment on these rules. Are there any you would add or subtract.
-----I would not add any rules nor would I subtract any. They are great tips to help keep the students safety. I actually learned a few things from reading that I probably should have known but didn't.
9. In the C4K part of this blog I asked that you look carefully at one of the categories under which you assigned post was filed. What did you find? Select one of the posts in the category and review it for me.
-----I read the Trail of Tears post. I have always been fascinated with this story. As far back as I can remember, I always enjoyed this part of my history lesson.
10. Mr. McClung uses Edublog as his blog host. In some ways it may seem more "advanced." But Blogger has many abilities that we have not covered in EDM310. This leads to this question: Is there anything (or things) that Mr. McClung can do with his blog that you would like to do in Blogger?
-----I like the fact that everything works when you click on it! I have has many issues when trying to get buttons to work on my blog. I just basically like the overall layout better than Blogger.
11. In what ways does Mr. McClung make his blog useful to parents, teachers, administrators, students like you, and others?
-----Well for one, everything is either educational or entertaining. Also for future teachers like myself, we can get ideas on classroom rules. The main thing that I like is that I can get ideas from reading different posts. Also, seeing all of the videos makes it easier to get more of a first hand look at what they are doing in class.
12. How does Mr. McClung's 8th grade blog differs from other blogs you have visited including other 8th grade blogs? Why the differences do you think?
----- Like I said above, It is very educational. Also, just in the reading of the syllabus and class rules, you can see how much he cares about his job. The passion he has for his job is wonderful. The fact that you can see that in just a blog is fascinating to me.


Please check out Mr. McClungs' blog. You will be glad you did!




Mr.McClungs Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment