Thursday, April 21, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
----I missed the metaphor because I just did. Maybe I was in a hurry reading, I don't know. I went back and read it and now that Dr. Strange pointed it out, I understand the post. Another reason could be that I have never really been able to pick up quickly on metaphors. Yes, I get the cheesy ones like, "It's raining cats and dogs" or "He's such a chicken." I am much like a student in last semesters EDM 310 class who said why not just come out and say what you want to say. Any time I have tried to use a metaphor in reference to something else, I always end up having to go back and explain what I was talking about. To me, its just easier to say what you need to say and go on. There's less confusion by just coming out and saying what you really want that person to know.
2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
-----To be honest, I wasn't aware that we were asked to create a log of metaphors. However, some off the top of my head are; The ball is in your court,To beat around the bush, and to burst someone's bubble.
3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
----- I think that as educators the best thing to do to help our students understand metaphors is to obviously give an entire lesson on them. There are many examples of metaphors and ways to understand them. We can give them many examples of how to identify them. Chances are, they already know many of them, they probably didn't realize they were called metaphors.
4. Why do we use metaphors?
-----They are a way to describe something.




grammar.about.com

No comments:

Post a Comment