Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blog Assignment 6

The only blog that I could find that comes close to finding an opposite argument was by a student in a class similar to EDM 310. The post does list cons of smart boards as well as pros. The three cons Brittany points out are: you can control everything from the SMARTboard, you don't have to sit behind a computer and desk but in front of the classroom, you can convert written document into text and students interact with the lesson.

For further information on Brittany's post, you can go to her blog: http://notesfrombrittany.blogspot.com/2011/01/do-smartboards-create-more-effective.html


Michael Staton, Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative

I'm not sure how I feel about this post because for one I've never used a smart board so I don't really know how they work or if they are an affective learning tool. From the the classes I am taking that use a smart board, I don't see a negative side of them. We are able to see where items are online that we need. This for sure helps me because I am more of a visual learner and need to see things done. So seeing the website or document I need for an assignment, I am able to remember what the page looked like which helps me identify it when I'm on my own looking for it.
I have a couple teachers write on the board, and it doesn't come out the clearest, however when a lot my past professors have written on a white board, I haven't been able to read it. So the type of board you write on doesn't mean its any more clearer.
In Michael Statons blog, he writes that all smart boards are good for is standing in front of a screen. But I don't see what the difference is in standing in front of a smart board as apposed to a chalkboard. As a teacher, you should be standing up in front of the class, what difference does it make whats behind you? Your students are supposed to be looking at you, not focusing on whats behind you.

Bill Ferriter

In Bills blog, he explains how he isn't a huge fan of the smart board. Once again, going back to the fact that I have never used one, it is hard for me to say what I think about these two posts. Bills says he used his board for two or three assignments, all of which he says could have been done with his computer. Also in his blog, Bill talks about how he went to a Twitter Ed Chat about interactive white boards. I clicked on the Twitter Ed Chat to learn more about what it was, and it told me the URL i requested could not be found. Anyways, Bill concludes this discussion by saying, "The majority of participants recognized that without time and training, they quickly become nothing more than really expensive overhead projectors." Hopefully this isn't true. From what very little I know about smart boards, I like them and find them very useful.

The Networked Student

To answer the question, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The answer is for guidance when he needs it, and also the teacher is the one who taught him how to build a network. This story reminds me of EDM 310. We are given all of out material, told what to do, and have many many different ways of getting in touch with Dr. Strange and the lab staff. We do not meet twice a week, but with all the opportunities to go to the lab and get help, you could basically go to this class twice a week. I think I would be ready to take on a student like the Networked Student, well once I get all of this technology and all of the programs to go along with it, I could defiantly handle this type of student. I hope Ms. Dexler does well with middle school students. I'm sure they can handle everything. Students are much more advanced these days than I was in middle school so I feel confident they can handle it.

Effective Blog Posts

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney,

    I am a little confused on what you mean by this: "The three cons Brittany points out are: you can control everything from the SMARTboard, you don't have to sit behind a computer and desk but in front of the classroom, you can convert written document into text and students interact with the lesson." I think you might have meant "pros" instead of cons. Let me know if I am wrong.

    I like how you are going to hold your judgement of smartboards. I really think they are great, but are they worth the money? I really don't know that answer maybe you will find out!

    Good answer to the question: "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?"

    I'm glad that you can relate this to edm 310!

    Good post Courtney,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I did mean to say "pros" instead of cons! Thank you for pointing that out. I clearly did not proofread it very well!

    ReplyDelete