Saturday, March 5, 2011

Blog Assignment 7

Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture

This was the most powerful speech I think I have ever seen. I have so much respect for Randy Pausch. When watching his lecture and hearing his words, the only thought that went through my mind was, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" He seems to have such a zest for life. To have gone through so many bad things and still have a wonderful outlook on life, and have the strength to stand up in front of all of those people and give a lecture, and be able to get through it...WOW! I know I could not do it.
The first thing I noticed while watching this video was how organized he was. He had everything he needed to give an effective speech. He knew exactly what he wanted to say and how he wanted his audience to receive it. In order to be an effective speaker and a good educator, you have to be organized. I know as a future educator, I am trying every day to stay organized and make sure I have what I need day. I am also very well at not being a procrastinator. I am learning how to use my time wisely. EDM 310 has certainly helped me with that goal!
The second thing I noticed about his lecture was he made his audience think about different things. He would say, "Think about..." and the audience would have to imagine what he said so we could get a good feel about what he was talking about. I enjoy when I listen to lectures/speeches and I am told to "think about" something. It always makes me feel like the speaker cares and really wants us to get a good understanding of what he/she is about to say.
The third technique I noticed about Randy was how entertaining his presentation was. He did not just stand in front of a room and lecture with a power point slide, he made it entertaining. He made his audience laugh which makes listening to a lecture enjoyable. I think this is the best technique when teaching because it keeps people on the edge of their seats, waiting for something else funny to come out of your mouth. Now I know a lecture isn't about being funny, but it sure helps keep people paying attention to you instead of sleeping or playing on their cell phones!



The last Lecture

2 comments:

  1. I like what you said about Dr. Randy Pausch being entertaining. I agree that people who are entertaining keep there audience's attention far better than those who just read off of there slideshow. In my opinion, an entertaining teacher is a good teacher! That just adds to the list of jobs a teacher should fulfill from role model, to educator, to authority figure, to entertainer, and SO many more things. Good response to this video. I enjoyed reading your post,
    AnnMerritt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy Puasch's attitude is what I want every teach to have about education and life! He has been such a great influence on me, and I hope he will be to you also.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete