Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

My name is Courtney Bengtson. I am 22 years old and have lived in Daphne, Alabama my entire life. I enjoy doing many things from hunting and fishing to cooking and reading books. I also enjoy the family gatherings my family has every Sunday afternoon. It has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember.
As a child, I always wanted to be a second grade teacher. I remember loving second grade and my teacher and hoping one day I could take her place. While attending Troy, I changed my major to Psychology in hopes of becoming a counselor one day. That quickly changed as I began taking Psychology courses and realized it was not for me. I decided to fulfill my childhood dream and pursue an Elementary Education major. I had heard many great things about the University of South Alabama and since it was close to home, it made my decision even easier.

I currently work at Christ the King Catholic School in Daphne, Alabama. I run the After School Care program with my grandmother. I gladly accepted the job for the experience of working with children. I love going to work every day. There is such a great pleasure in working with children. They really know how to put a smile on your face. I think the best part about it is seeing how curious they are about everything. They have such a will to learn even after an eight hour day of constant learning and schoolwork. Answering their questions makes me get more excited everyday about one day having my own classroom full of second graders.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Courtney! I'm Ashley. I really enjoyed reading your little biography about yourself. I'm jealous you live in Daphne, I love being across the bay. That's awesome that you have Sunday family gatherings, because I also do the same thing. My friends always pick on me because they know Sunday is family day. That's really great that you get to experience being in the classroom already. Good luck to hopefully getting to teach second grade one day!! My mom teaches second grade and she loves it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always go over to Daphne and Fairhope, pretty much whenever I am off or have the time! I really enjoy walking in Fairhope, because running really isn't my thing. I always park at the Fairhope Pier then walk down to the Grand Hotel in Point Clear. I just love being able to look at the water and all the beautiful houses. How's this class holding up for you so far? IT'S SCARING ME! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's scaring me too! Looking at the work is exhausting! I'm afraid of what actually doing it is going to be like!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Questions are more important than answers. Why do we undermine the eagerness to ask questions as kids get older? An interesting question. I hope you will always be encouraging students to ask questions. That's how we learn!

    ReplyDelete